Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Monica?

Hi to all! The painting is done and I must say it looks pretty good. I painted the nursery to be a light green and hung white battenburg lace curtains. I love it! I also got a Classic Pooh hand made wool rug at the Charlotte Flea Market. It is very sweet- hand made by someone in Nantucket. It will look so cute in front of the crib. I also framed a card my mom gave me for Valentine's day 2002. It is Pooh and Piglet and Piglet says " Pooh, you have lots of friends, don't you?" and Pooh answers, "Yes, but I only have one Piglet." I found small classic Pooh and Piglet stuffed animals at Target and they look good beside the framed card. I don't really want a "themed" room, but a few touches here and there of Pooh are nice. (Classic Pooh only- I don't like the Disney Pooh) I know I will have a ball getting her room finished!

I went this morning for my physical- the doctor has done many adoption physicals so he was very familiar with the process, which helped to ease my fears. The paperwork has to be done in such a specific way and any mistakes will force you to have to redo the paperwork. This afternoon was our first homestudy. I got up early this morning and cleaned the house from top to bottom, but the social worker only wanted to see the room that will be the nursery! Oh well, at least now I have a clean house.

The questions that the social worker asked were very basic. The whole process was pretty painless. We just have to turn in the rest of our letters of rec, employment, and dr's letters and then we are good to go for the homestudy. I believe we will have to have one more visit, but that will be to mainly go over everything.

I do have one funny from the visit. The social worker asked Derek to describe my personality. He said a few things and then the SW asked if I was organized. Derek laughed and asked him if he ever watches the TV show Friends. He told him that I was a "Monica." LOL!! That is so true!

I ordered a National Geographic DVD titled China's Lost Girls. We watched it last night and it was pretty informative. They interviewed some of the older girls that had been adopted in the early 90s and for the most part all were very happy here in the USA and were very secure with their families. Only one little girl expressed that she didn't feel like she fit in. I think a lot of that has to do with how we as parents approach their adoption. My hope is that our child will feel loved and proud of her heritage and that she will be secure and happy.

Derek will read this and say I am rambling. For those of you who are still reading this, thanks! Y'all come back now, ya hear?

No comments: